Thursday, September 11, 2008

36 or 40???

Despite being busy to finish off my minutes of meeting taken on last Friday (taught I have handed the task over to the new Secretary of our MD, unfortunately Madam still asks me to sit in, in one of the co’s subsi monthly management meeting *sigh* *yawn*), I still spare or the correct word should be STOLE 1/3 of my busy time to manage and did some make-up on my blog!! Ahaks… Can’t stand it without clicking the IE icon on my desktop!! Blame the internet facility that I have in the office plsss… *wink-wink*

Didn’t manage to finish the minutes though… Will finish it after I scribble something for my entry today… *grin*

Wondering ‘bout my subject for today entry?? 36 or 40???

Well, being a first time mommy-to-be… surely I have million of questions in mind!! But, thanx again to the internet technology that has showered me with zillion of useful info & tips. Somehow, I still have this silly question in mind. Wonder if you guys (specially all the mommies and preggy lady) have the same question. Been asked by my not-married colleague the same question as well.

Colleague : So, when are you due??

Me : Mid of next mth (Oct).

Colleague : So, you are now at 8th month?

Me : 8.5 month.

Colleague : (Looked at me with question marks) Huh?? Pregnant not 9 mths only meh??

Me : Err… (How am I supposed to answer leh??) 10 months to be exact if in O&G point of view. (She walked away confusedly. Wish I could have given a better explanation thou!)

Before I got pregnant, all I knew is that pregnant lady will be carrying her belly for 9 months before giving birth which is equal to 36 weeks. I assume everyone has the same thinking. Am I rite??? And to my surprise… it turns out to be 10 months or 40 weeks??? I think I AM surprise at the beginning when I first found out!!

I bought this book “40 Minggu Nan Indah” published by the Karangkraf after I received the good news of having conception.

So, why is it pregnancy for 10 months and not 9 months???? Anybody volunteer to answer?? How if we digest it together… *wink-wink*

The EDD given is based on 40 weeks after the LMP. Conception and fertilization are only done after 2 weeks. This is the stage where the egg and sperm meet and create a single cell organism called Zygote! Yeah… baby were made!! We minus the 2 weeks and get 38 weeks. So, what about the other 2 weeks extra?? Is it the so-called ‘cooling off’ period??? No idea… I just simply bluff…. Ahaks…. Other explanation are welcome… *wink-wink*

Anyway, since I’m at 34 weeks now… there are few tips collected from friends which need to be implemented from now onwards for easy labouring:

1. drink Minyak Kelapa 3x a week




Stuff that were packed in the bag...

Newborn wears for my lil' boy...

Alamak... all blue plak!!


Revell postnatal products - Blur pulak!


Ok lah… better post my entry now and finish my minutes today… ^_^

2. drink raspberry tea leaf (can get it at Starbucks! It tastes like Ribena)


3. do the perineal massage - gentle stretching and massaging of the skin between the anus and vagina (perineum)


4. drink the Air Selusuh when you are at labour room (I think only the Muslim practicing this)

Oya… I have even packed my bag and keep it in the car too… just in case!! Currently, my right leg is obviously swollen, the little finger toe is numb, the baby has engaged and the Braxton-Hicks is frequent too…. Phew… *eye-rolls*


*Update - the explaination*

"it is indeed 40 weeks, included the 2 weeks period b4 conception, just to make it easier to count EDD based on last menstrual period.. but 40 weeks is never equal to 10 months, but 9 months 7 days.. nahh, where do the 3 weeks missing? hehe, simple, coz based on the thought 4 weeks per month, we should only have 28 days in a month, but instead we have 30 or 31.. add on those extra days, u'll get the 'seem to be missing' 3 weeks.. play with ur calendar, u'll find that 40 weeks is always 9 months ahead plus 7 days.."

5 comments:

  1. hehehe!! memang tu just..kalau dulu sia kena tanya..sia cakap jak 40 minggu..! biar lah orang yang tanya tu blur..muahahaha!!
    Bah..ngam lah tuu sudah prepare awal2..mana tau baby mau kuar awal kan.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahhaha.... One of my friend delivered 1 mth before dia pnya EDD ba. Lugai2 la dia admit. Naa.. kelam kabut hubby dia blk packing stuff... heheeh...

    ReplyDelete
  3. hehe...suru la ur colleague to do research d intenet bah. bgs la u oredi prep awaal2..bila smpi masa trus go straight to hosp...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Found ur blog by accident, hehe, accident lagi tu.. Congrats for ur pregnancy! =)
    interested with ur topic.. coz i'm having my hard time understanding this numbers too last time..
    it is indeed 40 weeks, included the 2 weeks period b4 conception, just to make it easier to count EDD based on last menstrual period.. but 40 weeks is never equal to 10 months, but 9 months 7 days.. nahh, where do the 3 weeks missing? hehe, simple, coz based on the thought 4 weeks per month, we should only have 28 days in a month, but instead we have 30 or 31.. add on those extra days, u'll get the 'seem to be missing' 3 weeks.. play with ur calendar, u'll find that 40 weeks is always 9 months ahead plus 7 days.. amazing kan? =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Esther ~ Hi! Thanx for the explanation ya. It's indeed out of my box. :D

    ReplyDelete

You're 'bout to corner... ;p